Makes two batches.
- Dried pinto beans (1 lbs)
- Garlic (8 cloves)
- Mint/oregano (small spoonful each)
- Lard (1 c.)
- Onions (5 to 6 small/medium)
- Jalapeno peppers (2)
- Chipotle (not too much! Small spoonful per batch), cumin, paprika, chili powder
After beans are boiled, split ingredients in two and cook one half at a time in a skillet.
- Soak beans overnight
- Add water, garlic cloves, mint and oregano to beans
- Boil beans for 1.5 hours
- Separate water from beans; KEEP WATER!
- At this point, use half the beans at a time
- Add lard to pan (½ cup per batch), melt
- Add finely chopped onions to lard (3 small to medium onions per batch)
- Brown onions
- Add finely chopped jalapeno (1 per batch), spices, mix for a minute
- Add first half of beans, mix, cook for two minutes
- Add scoop of reserved water, mix, mash (repeat this step until desired consistency is achieved)
- Salt to taste (important, needs quite a bit of salt!)