Cream of Potato with Celeriac and Cheddar
January 29, 2020 | Soups
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- Sage (about 2 tbsp)
- Thyme (about 2 tsp)
- 1 lemon (zested and juiced), or equivalent amount of lemon juice
- 1 celery root (celeriac), cut in small cubes
- 4 or 5 medium potatoes, roughly cut in small cubes
- 4 cups chicken broth (cubes are fine)
- 10% cream (about 1/2 cup or more)
- Cheddar cheese, cut in small cubes (about 1 cup)
- Cut celeriac into small cubes.
- Toss with olive oil, salt/pepper, and cook at 425F until golden on all sides (toss a few times throughout). They should be crispy, but not too close to burnt.
- Meanwhile, add onion and garlic in a large pot with butter, olive oil, or lard.
- After about 5 minutes, add herbs, salt/pepper, lemon, and for cook a few more minutes to make herbs fragrant, and onions maybe start to brown.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes, bring to boil and cook for about 15 minutes, until potatoes are soft.
- Remove from heat and puree soup with a hand blender.
- Turn heat back on, add cream and stir, adjust salt/pepper.
- Add water if soup is still fairly thick.
- Add celeriac and cheddar cubes, serve.